Old April 30th 05, 06:10 PM
RST Engineering

"Slick" wrote in message ...

I've only ever flown Cessna products and I've come across an area I'm not
sure about. I have my private and I have flow 150/2 and 172's since I
starting my training. Now I might partner up with a guy in a Tomahawk next
weekend for a tour across the state. I don't have any formal training in
any
Piper products, will I be allowed to log any stick time?

1. There is no definition of "stick time". I'm presuming you mean "can I
log any Pilot In Command Time".

2. Your private rating is undoubtably "airplane single engine land (ASEL)",
which means that you can fly ANY airplane (not glider or helicopter or...)
with a single engine (no twins or Ford trimotors) that was intended to fly
from a solid earth surface (no seaplanes) with no further instruction or
formal endorsement necessary...with a few exceptions:

a. Aircraft weighing 12,500 pounds or over at maximum gross
certificated takeoff weight or aircraft powered by a turbojet engine require
a type rating in addition to the ASEL certificate.

b. Aircraft classified as "complex" (retractable gear, flaps, and
variable pitch prop) need an additional endorsement.

c. Aircraft classified as "high performance" (engines greater than 200
horsepower) need an ....

d. Aircraft classified as "high altitude" (service ceiling above
25,000' MSL) need an .....

e. Aircraft with a "type certificate required" on the manufacturer's
type certificate (extremely rare) need an ....

f. Aircraft with tailwheel style landing gear need an ....

(Look in your book of regulations, read section 61.31 carefully and you
will find all these requirements and the exact legalese of what they say.)

Examining the Traumahawk, you will find that sections a through f of this
reply do not apply, so no further legal requirements are required for you to
hop into the airplane and blast off into the wild blue.

HAVING SAID THIS, you will note that I said "legal" requirements. Hopping
into a totally unfamiliar aircraft with no introductory training is (a) not
clever and (b) will void most insurance policies. Whoever owns the aircraft
(either your friend or the FBO that is renting the aircraft) will have
something to say about who flies it and how much training is required.

Jim

I don't recall
exactly how the regs layout type certification. Do I have to be signed off
and have logged instruction to be PIC in the Tomahawk? Also if I only had
time in a 150, would I have to have instruction in a 152 before I could
log
PIC?

One last question, If I fly simulated instrument with a safety pilot, does
the safety pilot have to sign my logbook? Thanks to everyone for your help
and response.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----