Old March 14th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default All US Records are Now Motor Glider Records

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 7:03:45 AM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
Well it's snowing out and I am bored - so I'll join the fray. Except, Evan has already said what I would say (except the part about "flaccid, low testosterone ******s"). I would have said something more direct.

Let's not conflate the convenience of self launching with the mental confidence of having an engine behind you when you are low or far away and pushing for the last turnpoint with doubts about getting back. They are very different impacts on your gliding. If there was a way to self launch, lock the engine, and throw the key out the vent window, then we would all be doing what Evan does well (and I try to do).

True - the self launch and sustainer people acquire problems that the pure glider pilots don't have (cost, weight, and need to give up earlier) and I have pulled a few sustainer gliders out of farm fields in my time (3 no starts and one taped over fuel tank vent hole) but Pete is right - it's a mental sport and the presence of an engine of any type impacts your mindset. Especially if you fly like Evan and push to use 100% of the day.

But Evan, look on the bright side - The pure gliders are getting cheaper since the ******s don't want them.

ROY (fellow pterosaur)

Your mental problem is one of your own making. It can be shown that paying someone to chase you for the retrieve is cheaper than purchasing an engine (and yes, I fully understand capital and operating costs, and also that they are interchangeable in this context). Your mental problem is you have chosen not to spend the money to get the best performance out of the day. As in most speed sports, speed is largely a matter of money - how fast can you afford to go?

An engine has drawbacks compared to the traditional crew: it won't bring you are beer after landing and help you take your glider apart, and sex with it is unfulfilling.

I don't know all of you personally, but the local pilots with the same views universally have never owned and flown a motorglider cross country. Nearly all motorglider pilots have owned and flown cross country engineless gliders. So 'fess up - all of you who think there is a performance advantage in having a motor, have you owned and extensively flown cross country in a motorglider? No? Perhaps you don't know what you are talking about.....

The idea of flying your FES glider into the ground and then firing it up is simply Russian Roulette. I quote the Schleicher Operation manual: "One must always be prepared for the possibility that the engine will not provide the hoped for propulsion...."