Old December 30th 03, 11:01 PM
Marco Leon

"Aviation" wrote in message
u...

The second Hollywood inspired question comes from Executive
Decision (1996). The main character is taking flying lessons
in a single prop 2-seater plane and lands. The plane is still
running (on the ground) and his instructor says, 'I think
you're ready to solo' and gets out. The main character starts
to taxi and then other non-flying plot developments happen.
I was wondering if taking your FIRST solo flight is that simple.

The location in the film in Washington, DC but I figure all
US flying is FAA regulated. Wouldn't the first time soloist
have to fill out some forms, file a flight plan with the
airport and maybe even do a complete pre-flight check on the
aircraft? Is the simplified movie solo flight completely
bogus or could it happen that way?

Yes as mentioned by others, the first solo is usually that easy (with a
couple of signatures in your logbook)

The plane in Executive Decision was a Bonanza that has 4 or 6 seats (model
F33 or A/B36 respectively. Not sure which was in the movie) and Kurt Russell
is a pilot in real life. That plane could have very well been his own Or
at least he may have been flying it during the filming. Anyone know??

Marco

http://www.usenet.com