Old December 31st 03, 01:25 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

Can't offer much help with your first question, but...

The second Hollywood inspired question comes from Executive
Decision (1996). The main character is taking flying lessons
in a single prop 2-seater plane and lands. The plane is still
running (on the ground) and his instructor says, 'I think
you're ready to solo' and gets out. The main character starts
to taxi and then other non-flying plot developments happen.
I was wondering if taking your FIRST solo flight is that simple.

The location in the film in Washington, DC but I figure all
US flying is FAA regulated. Wouldn't the first time soloist
have to fill out some forms, file a flight plan with the
airport and maybe even do a complete pre-flight check on the
aircraft? Is the simplified movie solo flight completely
bogus or could it happen that way?

The basic answer is "more or less". My first solo was more or less exactly
like that. But keep in mind that nobody solos on their first lesson, or
their third, or usually even their fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth. I had
15 sessions of dual instructruction, all with the same instructor, before he
signed me off to do my first solo.

Now, onto specifics. The first time soloist would have to hold a valid
medical certificate, and the instructor is required to have tested the
applicant on key bits of knowledge. Usually, this knowledge is tested using
an informal written examination. But other than getting the medical and
taking this test, no other forms need to be filled out, at least by the
student. The instructor has some paperwork to fill out. Specifically, the
instructor must inscribe some verbage into the student's log book, and sign
off an endorsement on the reverse side of the student's medical certificate.
So the instructor can't just verbally say, "I think you are ready", and then
climb out of the plane. Instead, the student gets a good minute or two to
contemplate their impending solo as the instructor writes things in their
book and on their certificate, and then the instructor gets out. And boy,
is it quiet all of the sudden when the instructor leaves, let me tell you!

No flight plan is required, because the first time soloist isn't really
going anywhere. The most a first time soloist is going to do is take off,
follow a rectangular path around the airport's traffic pattern, and land
(almost always on the same runway that he or she took off from).

The pre-flight wouldn't be necessary in this case, because the characters in
the movie would have alreaedy done one before the lesson began. After the
first few lessons, the student always does a preflight anyway. So in the
movie, the student would have done one prior to taking off with the
instructor onboard. By the way, the instructor has to do a few landings and
takeoffs with the student (I think it's three of each) immediately before
the first solo occurs. I'm not sure if that's part of the FARs, or just a
requirement of my FBO, but that's what he told me.

Hope this helps!