Old September 1st 18, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

On 09/01/2018 08:26 AM, wrote:

High altitude starts - see my earlier replies. The M&D jet is not intended to be started above 10,000 feet asl according to the manual and it starts fine up to at least 9,500 feet asl in my experience as long as a fuel that suits the climate is used. Mine was very unreliable hot on high in SA with Jet A1 and unreliable in cold UK weather on standard diesel but worked 100% until sold in both situations on premium synthetic (gas-to-oil)/mineral diesel (which, for clarity, is not bio-diesel). It was someone from the JS factory that told me a couple of years ago to use Shell V-Power Nitro diesel when I asked for help while in SA as that was what they used.

Just to be perfectly clear, the word 'nitro' means Nitrogen in this
context, not nitromethane as is used with model airplane engines.
Creative marketing on the part of Shell. But they've apparently dropped
nitro from the name, just call it V-Power now.

Were you getting decent climb rates at the high altitudes in SA on a hot
day? As Eric stated, performance of many sustainers is quite marginal
at the higher elevations of the southwest U.S. Not limited to jets, the
gasoline burners have that issue too.