Old September 1st 18, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

On Sat, 01 Sep 2018 12:33:32 -0700, WB wrote:

Launching with a wing tip down is probably the number 1 "NEVER DO" in
winch launching. It only takes a brief snag of the down wingtip and the
up wingtip will accelerate and fly over the top. The glider becomes a
giant hammer with the cockpit as the hammerhead driven into the ground
at high speed. When this happens, it is all over in a couple of seconds
and is nearly always fatal. Same thing for dropping a wing on a winch
launch. Release immediately if a wingtip drops on a winch launch (Should
never happen with a properly driven launch as the very rapid
acceleration makes the ailerons effective almost immediately).

Yes, agreed. I've never seen a cartwheel and hope I never do.

At my club you're likely to be having a talk with an instructor if your
tip gets within 30cm (12") of the ground. We use 8 litre Skylaunch
winches with Spectra rope and like 'brisk' acceleration, so things do
happen quite fast.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org