Old September 5th 18, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

There is only one pump which requires a certain minimum voltage to start but then produces too much flow rate into the igniter resulting in excess fuel.

I'm glad you mention the pump. Turbine is one thing but the pump and its settings are the key to successful starts(of course together with a good battery). The pump voltages(sometimes referred to as pump power) supplied at different start stages are critical to getting a reliable start. Too much and you get a flaming hot start, too little and it wont stay lit and restarts thereafter result in residual fuel and another hot start. Getting it just right is a tuning process(through various params in the ecu and also depends on fuel type) but is also complicated with breakin of the pump over time in the case of new pumps. So as an owner, monitoring the pump power during operation so as to monitor "pump health" is fairly important. Think we all agree clean filtered fuel is must but they can and do wear out. I've had one with 200 hundred runs overshoot on rapid throttle advance and never expected to see 6 foot of flame out the back which actually extinguished the engine. After a new pump, all was good again after a retune.