Old September 9th 18, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 11:41:43 PM UTC-7, Mike Borgelt wrote:
On Sunday, 9 September 2018 14:45:00 UTC+10, AS wrote:
It is 2018. Why are we even talking about winch launching?

Mike

Because not all of us are independently wealthy and can plop down a couple big ones to get a jet retrofitted into our ships or even purchase a new glider with that factory option!

Also very workload intensive and dangerous.

Hmm. I don't think the figures bear out winch launching be any more dangerous than aerotow. A different set of dangers, certainly -- you don't get much time to reject the launch while still at a safe height if the glider doesn't seem to be flying right, but on the other hand you'll never find yourself low and slow just past the fence and pointing away from the field.

Modern winches give modern gliders a very high chance of contacting lift if there is lift around. And if there isn't then why are you flying? (at least you find out cheaply)