Old March 13th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Longworth[_1_]

Default Bose X vs. LightSPEED Zulu Review

On Mar 7, 8:46*pm, BillJ wrote:

I was told by LS that tradeins start in April

I was planning to trade-in my 3.5 years old LightSPEED Twenty 3G in
April then the darn thing stopped working while in flight yesterday.
All of a sudden, I could no longer hear my co-pilot throught the
headset. We thought something was wrong with Rick's connections. When
I tried to listen to AWOS before landing, I could not hear a darn
thing.

After landing, we switched headset connections and realized the
problem was with the LightSPEED. It was a good thing that we had a
spare LightSPEED
QFR Solo to use on the flight home.

I called LightSPEED customer service today and asked them if I
could trade-in the broken Twenty 3G right now instead of sending it in
for repair then send it back a week later for the trade-in. I was
told that the trade-in would not start until Mid April, and they were
having a hard time meeting demand. They advised me just to send the
unit in for repair and will notify me by email when the trade-in
starts.

I told them that I was planning to take my commercial checkride
next week and would like to get the headset fixed and send back to me
asap. The service rep was very nice. She told me that they typically
would repair a headset within a day and send it back overnight free of
charge. She said that I could use overnight express to mail the
headset to them with a note telling them about the mailing cost for
reimbursement.

Tonight, I got a email from the DE setting the checkride date for
next Thursday. With almost a week to spare, I think I will just use
priority 2-day mail and don't bother to ask for the reimbursement. I
am pretty confident that LightSPEED will make good on their promise of
speedy service.

On one hand, I am quite impressed with LightSPEED service. On the
other hand, it is somewhat disconcerting about the reliability of
their headsets. Few months ago, one of the ear seal kept falling
off. There were some glue left so we kept pressing it back in every
few days. I wrote an email to LightSPEED during Thanksgiving break
but did not hear from them for few days. When I called them on the
phone, the service rep apologized profusely and promptly sent me a
pair of new ear seals free of charge. The headset is less than 4 years
old and we have been quite careful in our handling, always put it away
in the storage bag, never leave it in the hot sun or cold weather
etc. So I was quite surprised at the sudden loss of audio
transmission yesterday in either with or without ANR mode. There were
no evidence of any wire breakage.

Just hope that the Zulu headset have better reliability than the
Lightspeed Twenty 3G. LightSPEED service is superb but I woud rather
hear about it than actually using it ;-)

Hai Longworth