Old March 11th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Neil Gould

Default Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path?

Recently, WJRFlyBoy posted:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:20:58 -0400, Morgans wrote:

There are many, many airports that have structures or natural
obstacles much closer than this one. Yet, airplanes land and
takeoff from these places for many years with no incidents.
Occasionally there are problems, but that is why you buy insurance.

Airparks; Living On The Beaten Path? is the Subject, note the ?

You might even have to decide to give the airplane
to the insurance company someday, if a particularly crappy incident
happens to you - if you take up being a pilot. Planes and houses
don't grow on trees, but they are much easier to replace than people.

I suppose you could say you are at a higher risk if you live within
two miles of any airport. Is it a reasonable risk? I think so.

Two miles and 20 meters is entirely 2 different discussions.

(rest snipped for brevity)

Having read many of your posts, I have to agree with Morgans' suggestion
that you argue less and listen more. Once you start your flight training
you will find that many of your current concerns in areas such as this are
unwarranted. In the meantime, your arguments with those who actually fly
and understand the relevant issues neither serve your ultimate goal nor
help those who, like you, participate in this group to learn because
authoritatively stated misinformation is counterproductive.

A brief example; you will learn that you can't be off the runway by 20
meters at most airports without things getting ugly. You will also learn
that there will be times when you will be unable to take off or land at a
chosen airport, and how to judge those times reasonably well.

Be patient, listen, and learn!

Best,

Neil