Old July 21st 17, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring and sailing: anyone successfully divide their timebetween the two, or better pursued as different life phases?

Many years ago, I had the honor of flying with George Moffat (XX) for a while out of Wurtsboro, NY. George was a former competitive sailboat racer who brought a lot of techniques and philosophy from that realm to soaring, in the process helping many of us to dramatically upgrade our glider prep and sailplane racing. My impression was that when George's first priority became soaring, he focused on the big contest(s) every year, typically the nationals and/or the worlds. Then he and Suzanne would often take off on a big cruising sail in their boat for the rest of the summer, returning in time for the two of them to begin teaching at a private school in NJ. He enjoyed both, and owned a sailboat and a glider. But my sense was that he made one of them his top priority and kept the other one for more relaxed fun.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"