Old December 13th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Rosenfeld[_2_]

Default Holding

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:15:25 +0100, "___P:Sir" wrote:

Thanks - if it is like that in the US, it surely must be in Europe as well?

P.Sir

I have no way of knowing that. I have not trained in Europe and my only experience flying in Europe has been VFR.
However, my brief perusal of some documentation I have from Jepp which references the ICAO document 8168 leads me to believe that such may NOT be the case in Europe.

Corrections for wind effect paragraph seems to state that the adjustment required on the outbound leg, for heading and timing, is only such as to ensure the aircraft is established on the inbound track before passing the holding fix. This is quite different from the wording in the US AIM and implies that the inbound timing can be much less than the "still-air" 1 or 1 1/2 minutes.