Old October 15th 05, 08:08 PM
Dave Jackson

Default Info on Tilt- Rototrs Needed

Hi Nick,

Are you saying that Stepniewski is no longer your favorite rotorcraft guru?

Stepniewski's major contribution to the field of rotorcraft has been his
comparative evaluations of the different rotorcraft configurations. His
book, 'Rotary-Wing Aerodynamics', the linked report, and his last book,
cover most of the rotor-VTOL configurations. To my knowledge, no one else
has come near his output in the area of comparative analysis.

It would be out of character for me to not close with the comment that; in
Stepniewski's last work, he considered the Slowed Rotor Intermeshing
configuration (ABC - Synchropter) to being the optimal VTOL transport craft.

Dave

"Nick Lappos" wrote in message
Dave,
That is an INTERESTING paper, deeply flawed in many ways. I am amazed at
its inability to stay consistent within itself, and in its ability to
understate tilt rotor empty weights, over state hover payloads, and
understate cruise drags. The result is as if the author chose to simply
ignore the data, and used instead his (generous) assumptions to assure his
answers. A bit shocking, frankly, but interesting!
If he were right, the flightmanual data I published would be reversed!
Nick

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
Nishant,

You may find this of value.
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...1993008694.pdf

Due to obvious reasons getting
the AHS papers is not really an option, as ordering them over the net
translates into a lot of money, when converted into Indian Rupees. So,
I end up searching the net.