Old September 30th 06, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Is every touchdown a stall?

houstondan writes:

it might help if you were to specify what kind of airplane you're
asking about but here i'll guess light single.

The ones in the sim, mainly Beechcraft Baron 58 and A36, and a
737-800. I don't know if the principles are different for the
different types of aircraft.

sorta depends on what the wind is doing. in chop i'll probably hold
more speed till i can get a wheel down then unload flap to firm it up.
in decent air i usually get just a squeek at touchdown. honestly, i
don't really like the horn as i trained a lot without one and got more
used to testing the control authority as i went along. you should be
able to feel it getting mushy as you get close.

i remember one day in my training, in a plane with a working horn, in
chop; i knew that i had some time after the horn started so i kept
dicking with it and kept listening to the horn till finally, it broke
hard. i doubt i was 6-inches but man!

That's what I worry about.

i'm also not fond of the fact that the horn sounds like farting thru a
cheap clarinet and scares the passengers.

I think it's designed to do that.