Old September 14th 03, 02:48 AM
Guy Alcala

Walt BJ wrote:

Guy Alcala wrote: Snip:
P.S. Do the articles you found describe the F-104 tactics used against the
F-86Hs? I've got that.
Snip:

Guy, I'd like to see that 104/86H piece, if it's not too much trouble.
BTW I tried to send you a message but 'postoffice.pacbell' refused it.

Is my reply to 'Juvat' giving the 'short' version, adequate? There was much
repetition describing the 1 v.1, 2 v.2, and 4 v. 4, so I was able to condense
quite a bit. Besides, you already know the result; the Zip kicked butt;-) Of
course, damn near any supersonic fighter with adequate fuel should be able to
control the engagement against a subsonic bird like the F-86 if they can avoid
the initial attack, although an F-100 (and I imagine the F-102) would probably
find things a lot tougher. The F-86 pilots said the 104s were the toughest
opponents they'd faced (they'd already gone up against F-100s, F-102s, F-105s,
and F-4Cs), and were quite impressed with the 104's ability to sustain high g
turns at speed. Despite their better radius, the 86s were unable to cut the
corner to take shots, because the 104s stayed fast while turning.

Guy

P.S. Losing "postoffice.", (plus the obvious Spam trap you'd already deleted)
and keeping the rest should work.