Old November 9th 09, 01:05 AM
Windsaloft Windsaloft is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Fields View Post
Just got word of a Piasecki crash that involved Joe Pike and to other people
who were on board. Joe had re-stored the twin rotor ship. Initial data
seems to indicate an engine failure with the ship hitting power lines and
burning. Joe was an outstanding wrench and pilot. Joe did a BFR for me and
I learned from him. He also was involved in the restoration of numerous
helicopters. This a big loss to the helicopter world.
Unfortunately the report you heard was correct.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...,1154841.story

One of the others on board had also been restoring a Piasecki of similar vintage... a fellow enthusiast, I guess you could say. He was a wonderful guy, a great friend, and will be missed by many.

Both men were very experienced pilots... must've been some kind of catastrophic failure. Just an awful tragedy.