Old June 28th 04, 04:41 AM
John R. Copeland

"Nathan Young" wrote in message =
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:35:03 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:
=20
It has always struck me odd that a standard landing pattern is left=20
turns and a standard hold is right turns. Having a left patterns for =

landing makes a bit of sense, since the pilot is on the left side of =

the=20
cockpit and has a better view of the runway making left turns.

But, for IFR holds, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to one way =

or=20
the other. Why did they pick right turns to be standard?

=20
As an IFR student, I was told that it is so controllers can easily
pick out planes in a hold vs planes in the pattern. It sounded good
at the time, but in retrospect, I question the statement:
=20
1. Holds are pretty uncommon. Holds when VFR conditions exist at the
surface (to allow pattern work) seem even less likely.
=20
2. Is a controller really going to use relative motion to pick
targets? It seems to me it would be easier to just look at their
squawk code or altitude.

How about: "3. Right-Hand Holds predated Radar by decades!"
---JRC---