Old July 3rd 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Default Brigadier General Olds

Not if your a civilian.. Many such as myself prefer to use the title out of
courtesy, however it is not required and some sticklers for protocol and
etiquette would even argue against civilians using titles outside of formal
circles. When was the last time a Major in the American Army ever insisted
upon still being referred to as Major in his retirement??? Other members of
the military may call him by his title at formal events but rarely of ever
at civilian events. Besides I seriously doubt that a man such as Robin Olds
would take offence at your perceived slight.

But Ms. Beverly Carmichael, if you insist upon being formal in a
civilian multinational newsgroup (many of whom come from nations with
similar but different protocols), I don't mind at all.

Andrew

"Beverly Carmichael" wrote in message
. 190.155...
I should like to draw your attention to the fact that Robin Olds was a
Brigadier General in the United States Airforce.

It is appropriate to refer to him as Brigadier General Olds. Not 'Mr'
Olds.

Colonel Beverly Carmichael
US Airforce (Retired)