Old January 30th 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default SSA Convention at Reno, FEB 28-MAR 3, 2018

The SOARING SAFETY FOUNDATION (SSF) invites you to participate in our training and safety presentations during the Soaring Society of America Convention at the Reno Convention Center, next to the Atlantis Hotel, February 28 through March 3, 2018.

The Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Seminar officially kicks off your SSA Convention on Wednesday evening (FEB 26) at 6 PM in the Atlantis Resort Hotel Grand ballroom.
The SSF seminar will qualify for your FAA Safety Team "Wings" credit and it is FREE. Register for the FAASTeam "Wings" program at www.faasafety.gov

Register for the SSA Convention now -- see your January issue of SOARING.
Information on the special SSA room rate is at www.ssa.org

The SSF FIRC. The SSF invites you to enroll in the Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) prior to the convention on FEB 27 and 28 (Tuesday & Wednesday.) Flight instructors must renew their certificate every 24 months and this FAA approved, glider-specific course is an ideal method to renew if your certificate is still current. Two days of lively classroom discussions and interesting presentations (not lectures) will recharge your skills and increase your awareness of contemporary teaching methods.

Non-instructors and CFI wannabes are welcome to register for the FIRC.
See your January issue of SOARING to register for the SSF FIRC.

Not coming to Reno? Several SSF Flight Instructor Refresher Courses (FIRC's) are held around the USA each year BY INVITATION of SSA members, club instructors, SSA State Governors, SSA Directors. That's basically the "chain of command" if you want to host a SSF FIRC. Set up a weekend or see the current FIRC schedule and locations at www.soaringsafety.org

Soaring Site Surveys this year are also by invitation only, confidential and free to clubs.
Contact for a brochure and to discuss details and dates..

Not coming to Reno? You might reconsider as the SSA Convention is now only held every two years. (Don't get me started -- as a SSA Director I voted to keep the traditional annual convention.) Come for the seminars, the displays of new and vintage sailplanes, winches and trailers. Meet the vendors of instruments and your essential soaring gear and fly the Condor simulator. Enjoy the spontaneous gatherings of kindred spirits, the breakfast and lunch events and the SSA banquet on Saturday night.

My favorite aspect is personally meeting our mentors and the Legends of Soaring, along with making new friends and sharing our passion for soaring with old pals. Can't miss it!

To register go to
www.ssa.org or your January issue of SOARING magazine.

I'll see you there.

Burt Compton, Trustee of the Soaring Safety Foundation, the
Training and Safety arm of the Soaring Society of America.
www.soaringsafety.org