Old October 22nd 03, 03:41 AM
Mike Marron

"John Mullen" wrote:

[blah blah]

What I don't fully understand is the way a lot of intelligent Americans let
ritualistic patriotism blunt their scepticism about their country's foreign
policy adventures and how they relate to the founding fathers' dream.

All you need to know is that not every intelligent American behaved
in a "ritualistic patriotic" manner during Vietnam, nor does every
intelligent American behave in a "ritualistic patriotic" manner
nowadays during the Iraq war.

In 'Nam, communism was demonstrably a grievous threat to the
U.S. and our allies and something called the "Domino Theory" was
in vogue at the time. In Iraq, terrorism IS a demonstrably grievous
threat to the U.S. and our allies and something called "Weapons of
Mass Destruction" IS in vogue at this time.

Not every American is patriotic and supports our foreign policy
adventures (as you so eloquently put it). But since you don't
understand American patriotism, you are the last person who
should be making snide remarks or questioning those of
us who aren't quite as confused as you are when it comes
to the simple concept of patriotism.