Old November 18th 05, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default leaning in climb

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Jay,

to an
over-lean condition

Wazzat?

That would be if the engine is backfiring ;-)

Personally, I simply lean a fixed-pitch prop Lyc to find peak rpm and
have never had any performance or maintenance issues in nearly a decade
of flying. The engine always seems happy and I suspect that at peak
rpm, I'm probably still blowing a significant amount of unburned fuel
out the exhaust pipe. In those planes I've flown that were equipped
with cht guage, the temps never climbed high enough to be worrisome
either.