Old February 2nd 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Panel Mount Microphone

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 12:26:33 PM UTC-6, Tim Taylor wrote:
The problem with panel mounted microphones is to be effective they have to pick up sound several feet away. This is good in theory but the reality is a cockpit is a loud environment. A glider at cruise speeds has vario and wind noise that the microphone will pick up. Most aircraft microphones are designed to work at a few centemeters or less. A good quality gooseneck microphone works very well. Cheap ones are a headache.

I've been using a panel mike in an LS6 for the past 2 seasons and it works better than any other mike I've ever used.

Cost about $70.

Apparently several other pilots in my club think so too - they are installing them also.

Way better than ANY boom mike!

Kirk