Old May 16th 05, 10:50 PM
Mike Kanze

Derek,

Nit: The base [NAS Jax] didn't encroach upon urban areas - the urban areas
encroached upon the base.

Point well-taken, but it matters little if Mohammed goes to the mountain or
the reverse - the result is the same. Unfortunately, encroachers vote in
greater numbers than trees and critters, although not necessarily any more
intelligently.

--
Mike Kanze

"Wineau - A person who drinks wine from a glass."

- Sighted on a T-shirt

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Arved Sandstrom" wrote:

[ NAS/NAF Brunswick]
Also, it's well-located in the sense that it does not particularly
encroach upon urban areas...which *is* a problem at NAS Jacksonville.

Nit: The base [NAS Jax] didn't encroach upon urban areas - the urban
areas encroached upon the base. Thirty years ago NAS Jax and Mayport
were out the hell and gone in the middle of nowhere. Between then and
now the City of Jacksonville has undergone massive growth, especially
down the West side of the St. Johns. Area's once considered remote
weekend housing (like say, Keystone Heights) are now approaching
suburb status.

It was quite the shock to visit my uncles lakeside cabin... It used
to be five miles down an unpaved single lane road. Now the road is
two lanes, paved, and development is solid from the highway to his
front gate. On the east side of Jax, the city simply stopped at St
John's Blvd, and it was *empty* from there to the beaches... Now it's
solid strip malls and apartment complexes the whole way.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL