Old July 11th 03, 03:23 AM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Judah wrote:

IMHO the Ryder Truck story ain't it. If you don't believe me, next time you
get pulled over for running a traffic light, call your governor and ask him
to dismiss your case. After all, there is no light at the busy intersection
a few blocks down!

Non sequitor.

That's effectively the same case you are making with the
Ryder Truck

I don't think so.

The point is: in an open society, there is the need to assess risk
accurately, in order to balance freedom and risk. There is also
a need for accountability, to demand that the effort and expense
put into security measures be properly directed to reduce risk
effectively.

IMO, the TFR and the Washington ADIZ fail both tests. That is the
point of bringing up the physical and economic damage a Ryder truck
full of explosives in the right place could do: we know this is a
method these groups might consider, because they've used truck bombs
in the past. Yet we've changed absolutely nothing in the truck
rental process. Driver's license, credit card, here's the keys,
there's the truck.

The "other side of the debate" is the fact that 500 lbs of
explosives in a Cessna is scary to the general public.

And why do you feel is this the case?

Sydney