Old March 15th 04, 10:36 PM
Jon Meyer

Does the World really need ANOTHER Standard Class competition
class?
That is what people seem to be proposing. This class
would be nearly
identical to the current Standard Class, but with a
little less
performance and a little less cost. Who would buy a
new 'LS4' when they
could buy a better performing used Discus for the same
or less money,
just to compete in this class?

Are you therefore saying that the world class must
have less than 15m span just so that it cannot be construed
as being equivalent to one of the existing classes?
I think that such a suggestion is completely contrary
to the aims of the world class, which are in my opinion,
very good.
The aim was to have a one-design class. This would
enable us to compete in the olympics, and would ensure
a level playing field for all competitors regardless
of their wealth. An LS4 only class would not be another
standard class, precisely for the reason that you could
not buy a discus or LS8 and enter it. It would be a
one-design contest, and as such would achieve the aims
of the world class.
Fixed undercarriage, no waterballast, even the requirement
for no flaps, are in my opinion all unnecessary requirements
for a world class glider, it could be an ASW22BWL for
all I care as long as they were cheap and plentiful
(I can dream....).
The only requirements are that the design should be
plentiful (the PW5 is not), cheap (2nd Hand LS4's are),
and of the best performance possible that satisfy these
criteria.
The LS4 is ideal, as would many existing designs have
been.

I think proposing more of what we already have will
not bring new pilots
or new competitors into the sport, but merely divide
them up between the
Standard Class and 'LS4 Standard Class'. I think the
current World class
is bringing in pilots the other classes aren't; unfortunately,
not in
the amounts hoped for. I think the _goals_ of the Word
Class are good,
and the specifications appropriate to those goals.

People seem to forget that a new PW5 will become a
used PW5. Many pilots
that will find a used PW5 much cheaper than a used
LS4 or ASW 20, and
buy them because they can afford it. This is good for
those people, and
good for the sport.

--
-----
change 'netto' to 'net' to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA