Old March 15th 04, 11:17 PM
Eric Greenwell

Jon Meyer wrote:

Are you therefore saying that the world class must
have less than 15m span just so that it cannot be construed
as being equivalent to one of the existing classes?

No, I'm saying it must be smaller to be cheaper. Bigger costs money.

I think that such a suggestion is completely contrary
to the aims of the world class, which are in my opinion,
very good.

Here was an important goal: "substantially lower costs than then-current
new gliders". It's the first one on the list in the history section of
the World Class Soaring Association (www.wcsa.org/history.htm).

The aim was to have a one-design class.

A big part of this was to achieve "cheap".

This would
enable us to compete in the olympics,

This was truly a minor side issue.

and would ensure
a level playing field for all competitors regardless
of their wealth. An LS4 only class would not be another
standard class, precisely for the reason that you could
not buy a discus or LS8 and enter it. It would be a
one-design contest, and as such would achieve the aims
of the world class.
Fixed undercarriage, no waterballast, even the requirement
for no flaps, are in my opinion all unnecessary requirements
for a world class glider,

If you want cheap, you have to leave off the things that make it costly.
These are expensive additions. The glider manufacturers were asked what
must be done to make a glider cheaply, and these things were on their
list. They add far more cost than performance, and make it more
complicated to fly. Simple to fly was also a goal. The people that came
up with the specifications didn't just make this stuff up.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA