Old October 7th 05, 05:05 PM

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 07:00:59 -0700, The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote:

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 11:18:37 +0100, "Simon Robbins"
wrote:

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
The DPE told me when he gave me my temporary certificate, "This is
your license to learn; that's it! Use it well." I'd have to say he
hit that one right on the head.

Sounds to me like the EMS guy wasn't entirely on the ball either, so on the
assumption he's on a good deal more hours, the learning never stops.
Trouble is, when you get to that kind of level for EMS jobs, do you stop
analysing those events or accept the lesson? Putting it simply, do you
think he went away thinking he made a mistake, or moaned for the rest of the
day about the "unknown helicopter" that cut him up!?

My guess would be option B. I'm not sure what kind of range a TCAS
has, but I'm pretty sure they work in conjunction with operating
transpoders on other aircraft. My transponder was definitely on and
squawking 1200 so I have no idea how he missed me unless the range on
his gear (or his attention span) was very very short.

The TCAS(D) while very very useful, does have its own problems. It
sometimes does not show any traffic or only some of it. At times
traffic will only show up less then one mile away. Some of them will
place false targets out there. I fly one that must really love itself
as you are flying along and all of a sudden it will alert you to
traffic at 12 o'clock "0" miles. Unless you remember prior that the
one you are flying does this, it makes your heart jump.

The only thing I can figure why they do this is the phase of the
moon??? But they are really great to have. They really help enhance
your traffic scan.

I'm still annoyed with myself for making a "newbie" mistake but after
mulling it over last night, I'm thinking what you stated. Not blaming
the other pilot, but it sure seems like his head wasn't entirely in
the game and mine certainly wasn't beginning at 8 miles out.

Chalk the downwind landing as a lesson as we all have done. Remember
how it felt (cyclic being further back then normal, more power then
usual inorder to slow the approach speed down). As you progress in
your flying and go on to a flying career, you will find out that when
you are landing in the middle of a deep canyon, the winds can be very
different and at times you will not only use what you see, but what
you feel in the controls to determine your landing approach.