Old March 15th 09, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
Ron Wanttaja

Default How hard would it be to make my own headset?

Paul Tomblin wrote:
I really like the earplug style headsets. I had a Quiet Technologies, but
it got stolen, and now I have a Clarity Aloft. But it amazes me that
they're as expensive as the normal clamp-style headsets. I buy $20 Skull
Candy brand iPod earbuds, and they make as good an ear seal as the Clarity
Aloft ear seals, and have as good if not better sound quality.

So I'm wondering if there are any plans out there for somehow mating a set
of ear buds, some sort of boom mike, and airplane style jacks into a
functional and cheap headphone set? Preferably something suitable for
somebody who has never used a soldering iron and doesn't know a rectifier
from a humidifier.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=20917

I've got a schematic (complete with Radio Shack parts numbers) for an
impedance matcher for the ear buds on my second Russian Helmet
Conversion page:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/stories/helmet2.html

The ear buds work well, even in the high-noise Fly Baby environment.

Ron Wanttaja