Old March 29th 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default ASW15 vs ASW19

At 12:19 29 March 2018, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
Hey everyone

I would like to have some opinions on buying a first glider between

these
two. There are a couple of both for sale that I've seen and my

budget would
be 10-20k euros.

Would you say the performance difference justifies the price

difference?
How would they compare at higher speeds and rigging/derigging?

Would the performance of the ASW15 be pretty much the same or

within a few
% to the Std Libelle, Std Cirrus, ...?

The -19 is just newer and better. The -15 has balsa wood core
sandwich wings, where the -19 has foam core which will not rot.
There was at least one TM about the balsa sandwich construction
on the -15. Performance of the -15 is similar to STD Cirrus or STD
Libelle. Dive brakes are better than on STD Cirrus because they are
upper and lower. The -19 has only upper, but with the 2 stage mod
(ASW-19B model), they are fine. The -19 has a forward hinged
canopy, where the -15 has the canopy that has to be completely
removed to get out, which is a pain in the rear. There is a -15B
model which has a larger rudder for better yaw control. The -19 has
the new Club Class handicap of 1.0, which will make it a favorite for
Club Class racers because it performs better than that handicap
indicates. You pay for what you get...

RO