Old April 2nd 04, 03:11 PM
BllFs6

Hi,

found a few old WIG links last night....

these have pics of WIG hovercraft flying....

http://popularmechanics.com/outdoors...ts/print.phtml

http://www.hovercraft.com/

http://www.se-technology.com/wig/index.php

I used to have one pic showing a WIG hovercraft about 10 feet above the ground
doing a "hop"....bet it felt like a hundred feet to the operator though!

WIG hovercraft appear to have many problems....airborne stability for
one....another, dealing with mirror contacts with ground or water (waves)
without it turning into something resembling that bad landing they used to show
at the begining of the 6 million dollar man episodes....

Another problem is variation of weight.....you need to make sure you CANT get
truelly "aircraft" airborne at minimum load, yet you still want to be a decent
height above the surface at maximum load....so it may make more sense to NOT
make the thing as light as possible as you would an aircraft....so that the
percentage difference between min load and max load is significantly smaller
than that of a true typical aircraft....

which aint neccessarily bad...becuase if I built one of those suckers I'd put
in a heavy duty roll cage that protected me, my neck, and ensured that I
floated upright and intact when (not if) I wrecked the thing and it ripped
apart in spectacular fashion!

Sure, that way the drag is more than if you made it as light as possible, BUT I
bet you would still be going alot faster with much less energy than you would
in an equivalent boat! And the ride would be smoother...at least until you
crashed....

The CD reduction is .8 at height = .25 wing size, .6 at .15, and .5 at .10 the
wing size...where IIRC size = chord...though it could be span....and at height
above ground effect CD = 1.0

So you can see you need to get pretty close to the ground for the WIG effect to
help much...

I'll email you the graph I have

take care

Blll