Old April 6th 04, 04:23 PM
Big John

Frey

Let me ask a stupid question. First I have read the thread to date.

If your vehicle won't be able to fly out of ground effect (and you
don't plan on flying over water) where will you fly it??? I don't
think ground effect goes up and over obstructions (houses, trees,
water towers. electrical power lines, etc).

Where would you use the vehicle and how? Fly point to point around the
airport vs using a golf cart?

Big John

On 01 Apr 2004 22:57:17 GMT,
(Wright1902Glider) wrote:

Does anyone here know if / what-section-of FAR rules govern the operation of
"ground effect" vehicles? Specifically, how high can a machine fly AGL before
its technically classified as an aircraft and not a hovercraft,
hydroplane-boat, Ecronoplan, etc.? Is there a loophole for a powered airplane
that can't climb to more than 5' AGL?

Second question: If a machine has tricycle gear with nosewheel steering, wings
and 3-axis control, and is solely propelled by thrust from an engine/propeller,
BUT CANNOT FLY, how is it classified? Trike motorcycle?

NOTE: Both of these questions relate to a proposed machine that will weigh
more than 254lbs dry, i.e. not Part 103 legal.

Serious responses please. I'm looking to find and verify a specific FAR rule,
as the correct answer to this question is critical for legal, operational, and
insurance purposes.

Thanks,
Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises