Old May 18th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default FAA Control tower Abandoned

or Manchester. They already fly into Manchester so have arrangements
there.

Still have issues with rounding up ground personnel, but after flying
to PVD and back I would suspect they had the same issues at the origin
airport...

On Thu, 18 May 2006 11:32:58 GMT, Robert Chambers
wrote:

You'd still try and get the ATIS before you got there wouldn't you? I
know at my home airport once the tower closes down the ATIS tells you
it's class E until 0630 local and gives the CTAF and for further
information contact New York App and gives their freq. Then the ASOS
says it's piece and the whole thing repeats. If I return late and hear
that I know the field is closed, if I get a standard ATIS broadcast I'd
for sure call the tower and see what they had to say.

I bet BOS was open, they have all sorts of approaches there and since
PVD tends to be a reliever for BOS (esp for those living south of
Boston) people wouldn't have minded too much. Of course SWA would have
had the logistics problem of finding a place to park and people to
handle them. Better to be 60 miles away from where you wanted to be
than 200.

Robert

Roy Smith wrote:
Newps wrote:

I kept the tower open an extra hour or so

Does that mean the Class D Airspace was in existence an extra hour too?
What happens if I dutifully read my AFD and discover that the tower (and
the associated CDAS) closes at midnight, so I figure when I arrive at 12:30
I don't need to talk to anybody.

I fly in, enter the pattern, land, and taxi to the ramp without bothering
to self-announce. Have I broken any regulations?