Old July 21st 11, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default $80 "Sportscam" from Costco

On 7/19/2011 12:10 PM, Tom Stock wrote:
Eric wrote:
This looks like everything we hoped the MD-80 "micro cam" units would be.
I haven't bought one yet, but it's tempting, with 2.5 hour recording
time, a real waterproof case, audio and video, various mounts, and so on.

Look for "Swann Sportscam Waterproof Mini Video Camera with Mounts" at
Costco online, and let us know how you like it after you get one!

640x480? no way! do not waste your money. you can get a $10 keychain cam
to do that. My advice is the gopro hd. Its more expensive but will record
1080p at 30 fps or 720p at 60 fps... it also includes a bunch of mounts and
waterproof case.

I'd love to buy a $10 keychain cam, but when the subject was hot on RAS,
no one would recommend one that could be counted on to work, not to
mention one without lousy instructions, lost SD cards, etc. The cheap
ones all sounded like projects instead of useful cameras. Buying a Swann
brand unit from Costco means it's going to work well, and if it doesn't,
there is no problem returning it for a refund.

I agree the GoPro is a superior imaging device, but I'm looking for a
casual camera I can tape on anywhere, no effort, and monitor the engine
retraction, the fluid pattern from my pee tube, and other stuff that
doesn't benefit from a quality HD image.

Do you know a cheap, small video camera you can recommend to someone
that is reliable and easy to use?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what
you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz