Old March 13th 15, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

Default PowerFlarm Update?

There is no more competitor for Flarm. They have the monopoly of collision
avoidance systems.
The other company has ceased distributing products as far as I know.
They never obtained any kind of support, of course, from Flarm.

OGN (open glider network) glidernet.org is working on a OGN tracker, and
the base stations as a consequence are being obscurated by flarm through the
release of v6.0 that changes the protocol they could still read thanks to
Hiram Yaeger. Flarm is now entering the business of online tracking,
apparently, and the first thing to do is get back monopoly on the data
transmission, just to be sure.
There is no other reason to change the protocol and not keep it backward
compatible.
Beside, the new software must still run on 2004 - 2005 early units that have
a miserable cpu and ridicolous memory. This means that functionalities are
not really changing for safety.

This is an old movie for me. Already seen happening here.

"Tim Newport-Peace" wrote in message

At 18:30 12 March 2015, wrote:
On Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 2:23:34 PM UTC-4, QRP Nimbus C wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 11:06:55 AM UTC-7, Mike the Strike wrote:
What do the Swiss regard as "early March"?
=20
Mike

=20
To me, this is the very definition of "Having you by the short hairs!"

U=
nlike the flight navigation computer domain where there are multiple
vendor=
s competing with one another to stimulate a robust development and

support
=
environment, I'm quite surprised that there is no other entity to have
take=
n up the torch for this worthy cause (especially here stateside) to
encoura=
ge the same. For the most part, some healthy competition keeps all the
pla=
yers engaged, honest and focused. Maybe it's time for some healthy
discuss=
ion about an alternative.

With a market as small as this one, dividing it and trying to create a
comp=
etition to get to the financial bottom makes very little sense to me.=20
UH

There was a competitor once. I believe they tried to force Flarm to release
the protocols. Their web site seems to be closed.