Old March 25th 05, 11:16 AM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

Roy Smith wrote in
:

I was looking at some old IFR Refreshers tonight, and found the IFR
Quiz from September 2002. See
http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0503/00282I2C.PDF.

Question #4 asks how to identify TANDS, and the answer they give is
"BNA DME and Livingston's R-270". Isn't that kind of nuts? The DME
arc is almost tangent to the LVT R-270, and would thus give an
extremely sloppy fix. The only rational ways in my mind to identify
TANDS would be to cross the BNA R-106 with the LVT R-270, or the BNA
R-106, DNA 24.7 DME.

Is there something I'm missing here?

TANDS, according to the chart, is fixed by the BNA 016 radial and the LVT
270 radial, and you can also use just 24.7 DME on the BNA 016 radial.
The written answer may be a little opaque, but it's more or less correct,
in that you can use either/or.

The R-106 will put you somewhere you shouldn't be, though. ;-)

Especially when using the DNA 24.7 DME. ;-)