Old January 19th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Task Planning Software

On Tuesday, January 19, 2016 at 5:37:49 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:07:59 -0800, waremark wrote:

On Monday, 18 January 2016 23:24:39 UTC, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone could recommend a task planning program or
excel file, that I could use to plan tasks i.e., FAI triangles, etc.
Western USA with emphasis on CA, NV, UT.

In the UK Naviter's SeeYou is pretty much regarded as the gold standard
for task planning, flight analysis, management of flight computer files,
and communication with electronic instruments. It is not free, but does
not cost much and I consider it worth supporting professional software
developers for the support they in turn give the sport.

I use a combination of SPINE and NOTAMPlot - the latter because its
screen is less cluttered than SPINE. Either is good for setting up the
task once you've checked weather (I use Avbrief + RASP for that), and
SPINE lets me download plottable NOTAMS in OpenAir format for use by
LK8000. However, this combo is unlikely to be useful outside the UK: both
programs use BGA turnpoints and UK NOTAM sources and don't appear to be
configurable for other data sources. Both are free programs.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Martin,

NOTAM Plot is neat. One can select different types of flying sites like HG tow sites which the ones in the US are long enough to land a glider in. And the soaring forecast is nice too. Too bad NOTAM Plot is not available for US pilots.