Old June 15th 04, 12:58 PM
tscottme

Flubke wrote in message
A little question, below the cockpit of the A10 for example, there has

been
painted a fake cockpit. Maybe it sounds a little stupid but I don't

get the
military use of that. Can anybody explain me why they do that. I've

seen it
a dozen times and I simply don't get it.

Greetz

I first saw this on Canadian F-18s, I believe US Marine F-18s adopted it
after Canada. It is meant to give a pursuing pilot an ambiguous target
during the fight. Say during heavy ACM the pursuing pilot loses view of
the A-10 for a second and then catches another glimpse, for a moment he
may confuse the exact aircraft orientation. It is hoped that this
confusion will benefit the friendly.

--
Scott
--------