Old December 6th 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Primary nav source

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 20:59:57 -0500, Wizard of Draws
wrote:

Enroute, I can't always be sure what would be considered my primary nav
source "from an FAA point of view" since I'm using more than one, that's
why I started this thread.

As I wrote, the FAA doesn't define "primary" in the PC/G and it's not
defined in 14 CFR 1.1.

If there is a need for you to have a definitive answer, you could try
writing the FAA Chief Counsel. But there may be no answer forthcoming
unless there is some operational reason to come up with one.

And, in the case of a non-commercial Part 91 small aircraft flight, such as
it seems you are describing, I don't see an operational reason to answer
that question.

The FAA doesn't need a regultion to set forth policy. The FAA policy
remains that VOR is the primary method for domestic en route IFR
navigation. This is related to the ICAO definitions of Class I and
Class II navigation.