Old April 24th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default An amphibian that sank?

The only unsinkable boat I know about is the Boston Whaler
www.whaler.com which is made of two fiberglass shells bonded
together with the inside filled 100% with foamed in-place
resin that makes it one solid boat. They even can be cut
into sections and the still get you to shore with dry feet.

But aluminum floats don't work well with foam inside because
of corrosion between the foam and metal. A better solution
is to fill the compartments with ping-pong balls. They
displace water, don't weigh too much and can be removed for
inspection and corrosion control.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Morgans" wrote in message

| "Flyingmonk" wrote in message

ups.com...
| http://www.divingservices.net/aircraft.jpg
| http://www.divingservices.net/9bcess2.jpg
|
| Anyone have the story behind this? Strange that a plane
designed to
| float, sank!
|
| You might be surprised how many recreational boats sink.
There are dozens
| of thing that can happen. Most common are drain plug left
out/loose, seals