Old September 27th 04, 10:09 PM
Jim

"Kathryn & Stuart Fields" wrote in message

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
Hi Stu,

Your concerns about price are understood, but for a counter argument;-

My background is in manufacturing, and more specifically, the

manufacturing
of equipment that is used to mechanize and automate the production and
assembly lines of other companies. Without qualification, it can be said
that the single largest contributor to lower prices, by far, is

'economies
of scale'

Boy do I understand that..I manufacture a rotor speed alarm system. It is
basically for the Safari, but easily modifiable to others. With the small
market the individual prices have to be high to cover my costs. I also
built some cyclic simulators that I thought should sell for $50. My cost
was closer to $200. If I could build 1,000... Yeah you were preaching to
the choir here.

Roughly speaking, the main-rotor/tail-rotor helicopter has twice as many
different types of parts as the twin-main-rotor helicopter. The
twin-main-rotor helicopter will have double the production run due to

the
commonality of parts. Logic suggests that the twin-main-rotor helicopter
will cost less than the main-rotor/tail-rotor helicopter.

Logic does not suggest that the twin main will cost less than the

main-tail
ship unless you can produce in large quantities. Logic obviously says

that
the main-tail is less costly for single items. Your argument may hold
water for some yet to be determined production numbers. Just remember the
market for kit helicopters is not large. If you go into the certified
ships, you will learn, as Frank Robinson has learned, there are some
overhead costs that can jack your costs up that aren't covered in a simple
economies of scale model..

In addition, latterly-located-twin-main-rotors have a number of

aerodynamic
advantages.

I agree here just based on what I see the Kamans doing.

I really believe that this configuration is the future of rotorcraft,

and
this future may arrive next month. The only current request for a new
helicopter in the USA is the DARPA competition for an Unmanned Combat

Armed
Rotorcraft. An intermeshing helicopter and a compound helicopter are

the
two finalists that are competing for the authorization to build a

prototype.
I used to have great respect for DARPA (I had an interface with them in

the
70's) until they pulled off that "Great Challenge", which they called a
"Success". I had inside poop from a guy working on the set up for that
FARCE. DARPA spent $12M on the setup for that event and only pre-tested

the
entrants on a flat well defined track. I think that the managers are
running DARPA now and apparently they don't understand tech issues very
well. I would be very cautious about using DARPA's seal of approval to

mean
anything.

I've begun to think that I'm talking about enjoying bigamy to a group
of Catholic priests.

There is no reason why the affeceadoes of recreational helicopters can't
start looking at the 'second coming of rotorcraft'. A little preaching

in
your new magazine might lead the unconverted out of the wilderness.

Dave: I have a problem with Moller AirCar, Ezcopter, Skyscooter and a few
of the others with their "positive forward thinking" when they haven't

built
and tested the item to really know what they are talking about. They

claim
"Easy to build and Easy to fly" and haven't built and tested the

prototype.
The Skyscooter does not have collective controls and I believe therefore
very questionable autorotation ability.. These have to be rectal
extractions since they haven't gone the whole route. I'm surprised at
people, however, a friend told me of an investment banker that tried to

dump
a bunch of bucks on an untried and unflied helicopter kit a few years ago
just based on the artist's conception. As I understand it the twin rotor
machines can have pedal reversal during autorotation. That would not be
something that I wanted to expereince during an engine out emergency.
I'm coming to the conclusion that this newsgroup has a different idea or
definition of recreational helicopters. A lot of the posts that I see are
coming from people interested in big $ commercial ships. Only a very

small
percentage of the posters seem to be involved in recreational rotorcraft
flying. .

Stu Fields