Old August 25th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.motorcycles
vincent p. norris

Default Safety: Planes vs Bikes

I fly a small airplane (a Cessna 150.....

I drive a moderate motorcycle ......
I've been asked several times which of these things is more dangerous.
Can anyone provide some statistics on this?

-Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand

Sorry, I don't have any stats. But when I started a new job and applied for
life insurance the form specifically asked if I flew in private airplanes..... The application did not ask about street
riding a motorcycle.

That tells me those activities will affect your life insurance premium.
Therefore I deduce that flying is more dangerous than riding.

Bryan

Reasonable deduction. But way back in the late 1940s, when I began
taking fly lessons, I was advised it would increase my life insurance
premiums.

Some time later, but still way back in the '40s, I was advised that
the company would no longer increase the premium for pilots.

My premium was not affected when I went to Navy flight training in
1949 or flew in the Marines for several years.

Half a century has passed since then, and I have never again been
asked if I fly, when taking out insurance.

Don't know about bike riding, I'm not brave enough to try that.

vince norris