Old September 28th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default Holding Pattern Question

In article ,
John Godwin wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote in
:

If you lose just transmitter or just receiver you can still
communicate one-way. Two-way radio communications failure means loss
of both transmitter and receiver.

That's ridiculous.

"Bugsmasher 34 Romeo, if you read, squawk 4221"

In my case, it was, "N17AV, if you read this transmission, turn left 30
degrees and ident", which was soon followed by, "Radar contact, continue
along previously cleared route". Or words to that effect.

Our route was POU V157 HAARP HPN. Once you get to the bend in V157, you're
very close to the ILS-16 localizer. We decided to just go for the
localizer as soon as we got there. The moment we left the airway, we
heard, "N17AV, you appear to be flying the ILS-16, cleared approach".

We flew the approach. We didn't see any light signals from the tower, nor
did we waste any effort looking for them. We landed, and taxied off the
runway. Our handheld VHF, which didn't work for **** in the air, was able
to talk to ground. We taxied back to the ramp with them and that was the
end of that.