Old April 23rd 10, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default How long for thermals to start working after rain?

On Apr 23, 11:30*am, Bruno wrote:
I am looking out the window of my office in Salt Lake City, Utah right
now to rain falling. *Tomorrow is expected to be in the mid to upper
60's and sunny with fairly low humidity. *Might be a decent soaring
day. *How long does it take the ground to dry up enough after rain for
thermal soaring conditions to get good again? *I am sure the answer
might be different when the temps are in the 60's and 70's compared to
80's and 90's summer time. *What have you all experienced?

Thanks,
Bruno - B4

I've found it to depend on the soil type. When I was a student pilot
the simplified wisdom I received was "the day after a cold front."
Then, after I got my license I would start to take days off to go soar
but wound up spending my vacation time looking at overcast skies
or (at best) grinding around in weak thermals. I started doing my
own weather forecasting after that and found that usually the second
day after the cold front was best where I lived (characterized by
forested hills and clay soil). My instructor, meanwhile, had
moved to New Jersey (characterized by sandy soil) and noted that
the first day after the front was best.

So, my answer is that "it depends". Since you live in a fairly
arid climate zone, I would expect that very soon after the front
would be best (especially with orographic lift available).

-- Matt