Old January 30th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

Default dirty oil

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:49:26 -0600, "Dan Luke"

Definitely have an A&P borescope that engine. Broken ring maybe.

Talked to my mechanic this morning. He said not to worry; the dirty oil is
from the oil cooler and its plumbing, which don't get drained when the oil is
changed.

He said I would have noticed this before if I had ever checked it two hours
after a change. Since I check the oil before every flight, it seems I would
have noticed the oil's turning black this soon before.

I guess it's possible, but on the Deb the oil stays clean until around
15 to 20 hours and that is without an oil filter. Compression is in
the low 70s. If you take the breather cap off and pull the prop
through by hand, the old girl really wheezes. Doesn't use a drop of
oil between changes though, well at least not enough to notice on the
dip stick.

Should I pay to have the cylinders 'scoped?

I think I'd have the compression checked at least
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com