Old February 6th 05, 09:26 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Dick" wrote:

George or Richard,
A little off the subject. A fellow at my airport had heard of a method to
remove scratches. It involved plastic, I think acrylic, figurines and a
propane torch heating slightly the scratches to "erase" them. I was
wondering if anyone had any such knowledge.

My yet-to-be installed, 20year old canopy
was lightly sanded with the wrong grit and scratched up both inside and
outside. After researching the methods available to sand/polish them out
and considering greatly differing opinions, I'd like to find another method
short of buying/making a new canopy.

Thanks, Dick

I have an experiment:

1. Take a piece of Plexiglass scrap and cut it qith a bandsaw.

2. File the big scratches and gouges out of the sawed end.

3. Start wet sanding with #320, then #400, then #600, then #1200, then
#2000 grit, stepping up the grit as smoothness is reached. Wash between
sandings.

4. Take automotive rubbing compound to the edges worked and look for
polished areas.

5. When the whole desired area appears polished, apply automotive
polishing compound. (You can also use tooth powder.)

Use lots of water in all processes.

You can also start with a piece of scratched-up Plexiglass and work
through the same steps.

The end result is a piece of polished Plexiglass with no visible
scratches.