Old December 27th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default IFR Cancellation Question

Jose wrote:

Now the question really becomes =which= services are elegible for
letters of agreement, and which are not. It appears to be your
contention (with which I agree) that landing at a Class D airport (sorry
- "a towered airport within class D airspace" is a service or
operation which is not elegible for a letter of agreement that would
allow a different facility to provide those services.

Well not "cleared to land." But it is not required that a controller
terminate an aircraft before he enters a class D area. That's
ridiculous. Both Denver and Minneapolis will tell you to contact the
tower after you are clear of all other traffic ande you may or may not
be in the class D. Either way the tower knows you're inbound.

If I am approaching a Class D airport and the approach controller gives
me an actual landing clearance instead of "contact the tower...", maybe
the controller made an error.

Maybe? I'd like to hear that tape.

But maybe there is some sort of letter of
agreement that I don't know about.

All TRACON's will have a letter of agreement with class D's under their
airspace.