Old October 11th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 5:27:25 PM UTC+2, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 9:06:01 AM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 11:38:15 AM UTC-4, Mark Hawkins wrote:
... "Flarm is a closed system". And why is that?

You will find a clear explanation of this policy he
http://flarm.com/wp-content/uploads/...patibility.pdf

As to wide adoption, most GA aircraft (including gliders) in Europe now
have FLARM; EASA now permits panel installation in certificated AC.

I'm a firm believer in open source (and funded it heavily in my former
corporate life), but I also know well how frequently it goes off the rails.
This application would suffer from anything other than top-notch,
full-time attention. Commercially-funded open source works when there are
lots of deep pockets with common interests (see GCC, newlib, RedHat, Eclipse).
Casual open-source, for small markets, without funding, not so much.

You may not agree with this, but it has been given serious consideration
but a lot of very committed and extremely sharp folks.

Respectfully, Dave

PS: Paper above doesn't mention REQUIRED FCC certification (and analogous
foreign certifications) - expensive, and REQUIRED.

Compatibility seems to be a big word in the article. Is FLARM actually compatible across the globe? I mean, if you take your glider from the US to Europe, South Africa, Australia for whatever reason: competition, job assignment, long vacation, retirement - will the PowerFlarm work there and be compatible with the locals?

PowerFLARM is not globally compatible - you need to buy a different unit for each frequency region, as I found out in both NZ and Europe. If you want to change the frequency on the unit, it's 500 Euros + VAT + shipping.