Old June 29th 11, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default google groups r.a.s.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 08:59:10 -0400, vaughn wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message

news.aioe.org is still free and working fine.

Same with http://www.eternal-september.org/ . Once you switch to a real
news server (you also need a news reader program like Outlook Express)
you will wonder why you ever bothered with Google Groups. It faster,
threads better, and is virtually spam free.

For real newsreader programs my recommendations a

Windows: Forte Agent - http://www.forteinc.com/
Its been a while now since I used Windows, but when I did,
I tried a number of newsreaders and preferred Agent to the rest.

Linux: Pan - http://pan.rebelbase.com/

OS X: no idea what works

I've also tried dual-purpose programs, e.g. Opera and Thunderbird and
haven't found either to be much good as newsreaders.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK