Old March 26th 12, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hans Disma

Default Minimoa first flight

"Tony" schreef in bericht
On Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:48:55 AM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
I wonder where the Minimoa that was owned by EAL Captain Shelley
Charles is located?

My father, Captain Fritz Compton, flew it several times in the late
1940's and loved it.

Eastern Air Lines let Captain Charles store it in one of the EAL
hangars at Atlanta Airport.

Burt Compton
Marfa, Texas USA

Capt. Charles bought his Minimoa from Chet Decker in late 1939 (Soaring Dec.
1939) He set a national altitude record in it (Soaring Sept/Oct 1943)

Decker bought his from Barringer in late 1937, which had been damaged in the
1937 Nationals. (Soaring Jan. 1938) The damage was from another plane that
stalled on approach (Soaring August 1937)

Barringer ordered his new from the factory for the 1937 Nationals (Soaring
Feb. 1937)

Can't find any definitive evidence with brief searches to determine what the
registration number was for this ship. It is definitely not DuPont's N16923
or N2664B (November 1983 Soaring). I'm curious what the registration was on
N37JK before it was presumably changed by John Karlovich. It is a 1937
model, which makes it possible it was the one that Barringer ordered, but
there was at least one more ordered that year. The November 1983 Soaring
claims there were 6 in the US at that time but the locations of only 2 were
known at that time.

Gosh I love the SSA's online Soaring archive!

John bought N37JK from John Coxon ( UK ) and at that time it had the BGA
registration BGA 1738
It received it's registration in 1972 after a very carefull restauration by
Southern Aero Services Ltd after it was brought to the UK in the late 1960s
having been used by the RAF in Germany and bought by a british and american
in service in Germany at that time.
All the remaining original documentation is now with the Minimoa and it's
new owners in Germany again.

Hans Disma