Old May 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Eric Greenwell

JJ Sinclair wrote:
Was it the cover that ignited?

Yes, The open canopy struck a sharp focus on the instrument panel and ignited
the cotton canopy cover. By the time anyone knew it was happening, both
cockpits were on fire. The scene after the fire department was through was
nothing short of appalling. There were parachutes, instruments, seat cushons,
plexiglass, canopie rails, little sliding windows and stuff floating in
cockpits that were half full of water. It was hard to look at, even for a
veteran salvage bidder, like me. I figured the ASH-25 would be a steal at 20K,
about right for 30K and too much at 40K. It went for 38K.
BTW, the owner normally placed the canopy cover over the open canopies, but
decided to cover the instrument panel because it had blown off the day before.
Canopies closed and covered is the safest way to avoid this problem.
JJ Sinclair

I guess I'll stop "protecting" the panel with the canopy cover! Covering
the canopy isn't neccessary, since there isn't any focusing through the
canopy, but it will keep the cockpit cooler.

I usually prefer to prop open the back of the canopy with a 2" foam
block to allow air circulation, but almost any prop will do. This is on
forward-hinged canopies that have quite a bit of closing force when
almost closed, not side-hinged canopies. I prefer it because my canopy
often isn't dust-free, so I'm concerned the cover will scratch the
canopy or the the dust will get into the cover; also, lots of times the
cover is back at the trailer.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA